Google

Thursday 10 May 2007

Congenital Venous Malformation


Mr Tan saw me and thought he'd show me his left leg. "Doc, I've had this since I was 10 yrs old. I was hit by a book and the whole thing swelled up in pain! Since, then it seemed to grow slowly but doesnt give me any trouble". His left leg and foot was swollen. I thought it was not that obvious and possibly that's why his parents didn't notice it until then. He was seen by several doctors in Singapore and had his MRI's taken. Now, 12 years later it didn't give him any problems but just a little unsightly deformity.

After palpating the swelling, I found the swelling on the leg (9cm by 4cm) and dorsum of the foot (10cm by 5cm) to be non-pulsating, painless, boggy, with some induration (a depressed area probably where the vein perforates through). "Good! It's not an artery, not coming from the bone (I hope) and pain-free!", I said. You need to see a vascular surgeon who will work out whether you need further treatment (I was thankful to Mr Yusha from Hospital Kuala Lumpur who shared his experience with me when I was attached to the Vascular Surgical Unit).

Treatment depends on the depth, location, and extent of the venous malformation.

a) Routine observation of smaller lesions that cause minimal cosmetic or functional disturbance

b) Compressive stockings (e.g. tubigrip) to control swelling and pain in lower limbs

c) Injection of irritant solution into the lesion to shrink the abnormal veins. Unfortunately, multiple treatments are often required over time. (Sclerotherapy)

d) Laser treatment. The skin component of a venous malformation, consisting of small vessels, is sometimes treated with a Nd:YAG laser. Generally, several treatments six to eight weeks apart are necessary.

e) Surgery to localized and remove accessible lesions

d) Injection into the blood vessels to stop arterial blood flow in some selected cases in which there are abnormal connections to veins. (Embolization)

* Summary of treatment was adapated from this site.