A few photos from the team workout in a swimming pool after competition. It included slow jogging (forwards and sideways), hig knee jogging, striding, jump and rotate drills. This is often a useful training session for recovery and relaxation. Variations of this exercise may be useful for rehabilitation of lower limb injuries.
Conferences & Events
- 2nd Annual Sports Cardiology Summit 4-5 Oct 2013
- Developing the Healthy Youth Athlete: Innovation and Best Practices in Going the Distance November 6-8, 2013 – Orlando, Florida
- Advanced Team Physician Course December 5-8, 2013 - Las Vegas, Nevada
- ACSM Team Physician Course 19-23 Feb 2014, San Diego California, USA
- ACSM's Health & Fitness Summit & Exposition April 1-4, 2014 Atlanta, Georgia
Sunday, 13 December 2009
Here are some photos from the Salomon X-trail Run 2009 event which drew a crowd of 900 entries from all walks of life. Congratulations to the event organisers. There was supply of water for rehydration and orange cuts too. The Gardenia van was also there to provide tasty buns for immediate carbohydrate intake for recovery. The photos show the RICE treatment that comes in really useful for first-aid and some wound care for abrasions suffered by some of the participants. Remember, do not ice for more than 20 minutes and use gloves if there are open wounds.
Saturday, 21 November 2009
This is the photo of a basketball player who dislocated left 5th finger. The finger was immediately rediced easily by the coach. He subsequently used RICE treatment which reduced the symptoms. He taped the finger to prevent a recurrence but refused further examination.
Tuesday, 6 October 2009
The 2nd Malaysian International Basketball Championships would be held at MABA from the 7-11 October 2009. This competition involves men (Korea, Hongkong, Philipines, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia, China) and women (Chinese Taipei, Singapore, Malaysia, China) teams from 7 Asian nations.
More details may be obtained from the MABA website or the official MIBC website.
Friday, 28 August 2009
There's an exciting adrenaline pumping Ice-Hockey International event coming up this weekend. Paramedics and doctors volunteers are wanted during the whole tournament.
Date: Sept 2-5 (Wednesday to Saturday)
Time: Sept 2 :8pm to midnight
Sept 3 & 4 :8am to midnight
Sept 5 :8am to 7pm
Venue: Sunway Pyramid Ice Rink
Estimated number of players: 180-200
Players' ages: 5-50
Organizer: Malaysia Ice Hockey Federation (MIHF)
Contact person: EeLaine (012-2261048) or Dr Aston (019-2103787)
See the video of launch and join us if you love the excitement!
Saturday, 30 May 2009
A 10 months old toddler was brought by his mother yesterday with a painful lump in the distal part of her left leg. She apparently fell 4 days earlier but his mother noticed the swelling only after 2 days when she was attending to her.
She was still able to hobble from one end of the table to the other end while hanging on to the sides. She only grimaced slightly when we examined the swelling. We did an Ultrasound scan for her showing a cystic swelling adjacent (but separate) to the Achilles tendon. He plain X-ray of the andkle and leg was normal.
The swelling subsided significantly with RICE treatment and topical Reparil gel. Her mother was advised to continue the same treatment for another few days. She was not given any NSAIDS.
Monday, 18 May 2009
A young lady in her (28 yrs old) came to see me with chronic pain (3 yrs) in the Right big toe. The pain would worsen with repetitive jumping and landing during ballet and modern contemporary dance. Despite getting better shoes, she still seemed to suffer from the pain. Her toes was also 'crowding' in her shoes with the big toe moving towards the 2nd toe (Hallux valgus).
She had tenderness at the base of the right 1st metatarsal bone and moreso adjacent to the 2nd toe. Upon treatment with ultrasound she felt better and we taught her some strengthening exercises and taping. She should be feeling much better if she takes adequate precaution and implements RICE treatment when she feels sore after training.
Saturday, 7 March 2009
Friday, 30 January 2009
Here's 2 photos of a male patient in his 30's who had a fracture to his left elbow (believed to be supracondylar) when he was 4 yrs old. He was treated by a traditional healer but was not given the option of modern medicine. He has some physical deformity but is able to carry out manual work without any difficulty. He is happily engaged to his female companion who doesn't seem to mind the difference.
Tuesday, 20 January 2009
Wednesday, 7 January 2009
Here's a photo of one of the recreational badminton athlete who found that he had a small swelling at the ankle. Upon examination, I found a 2cm X 2cm cystic swelling just before the insertion of the Tibialis Anterior tendon. An ultrasound scan should be done to confirm the findings.
Usually, the cyst is treated conservatively with a corticosteroid injection. Care should be taken to ensure that the tendon is not damaged in the process. Surgical excision may also be carried out. However, such lesions are known to recur.
- Academy of Traumatology
- All About Pain
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Aspetar Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Hospital
- Australian Institute of Sports
- Canadian Academy of Sports Medicine
- Doping Control Centre, USM
- International Federation of Sports Medicine
- International Society for Comparative Physical Education and Sport
- Ministry of Youth and Sports
- National Sports Council
- National Sports Institute
- Olympic Council of Malaysia
- United States Olympic Committee
- World Anti-Doping Agency
International Sports Federations
- Asian Paralympic Council
- Badminton World Federation
- Confédération Mondiale des Sports de Boules
- Federation of International Polo
- Fédération Internationale d'Escrime
- Fédération Internationale de Football Association
- Fédération Internationale de Natation
- Fédération Équestre Internationale
- International Archery Federation
- International Association of Athletics Federations
- International Basketball Federation
- International Bowling Federation
- International Boxing Association
- International Canoe Federation
- International Cycling Union
- International DanceSport Federation
- International Federation of Associated Wrestling Styles
- International Federation of Netball Associations
- International Golf Federation
- International Gymnastics Federation
- International Handball Federation
- International Hockey Federation
- International Judo Federation
- International Orienteering Federation
- International Paralympic Committee
- International Rowing Federation
- International Rugby Board
- International Sailing Federation
- International Shooting Sport Federation
- International Softball Federation
- International Tennis Federation
- International Triathlon Union
- International Volleyball Federation
- International Water Ski Federation
- International Weightlifting Federation
- International Wushu Federation
- The International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation
- The International Table Tennis Federation
- Tug of War International Federation
- World Confederation of Billiards Sports
- World Karate Federation
- World Squash Federation
- World Taekwondo Federation
- World Underwater Federation
National Sports Associations
- Badminton Association of Malaysia
- Football Association of Malaysia
- Lawn Tennis Assoication of Malaysia
- Malaysian Basketball Association
- Malaysian Cricket Association
- Malaysian Golf Association
- Malaysian Hockey Federation
- Malaysian National Cycling Federation
- Malaysian Paralympic Council
- Malaysian Rugby Union
- Malaysian Tenpin Bowling Congress
- Malaysian Volleyball Association
- Malaysian Women's Golf Association
- Squash Racquet Association of Malaysia